Saturday 5 July 2014

Contradictions

I know it's been a while since I posted - life has a habit of getting in the way of anything planned! On the plus side, it looks like Miss G. and I have found our new house, so, once the paperwork is sorted we should be moving to Derbyshire at the start of August. That has taken up a large chunk of time, 150mi each way to view a property tends to take a fair amount of time.

Anyway, I know I have "Discuss, Part 2" to write, but I'm still thinking that one through in my head.

In the meantime, whilst running the other day (I tend to do a lot of thinking when I'm running, if only I could remember a lot of it when I get home), I started to think about the contradictions that are part of me. I guess it's an offshoot topic from the "Discuss" post... I think if most people looked inside, they'd probably find a set of their own contradictions...


I'm a very shy person - and yet I'm a rep, visiting people I've never met before.
I prefer a monotone colour pallette, black/greys mostly - and yet I wear bright orange or green T-Shirts and bright running kit.
I love peace, quiet, being outside and just hearing birdsong - and yet I go to rock/metal gigs and love them.
I go hillwalking and running for fun - and yet I'd often rather take the car into town than walk in.
I really don't like the piano as a solo instrument (concertos etc) - and yet I adore the music of Ludovico Einaudi.
I bemoan the amount of time I sit at a desk in front of a computer for work - and yet I'll happily sit there for hours looking at running or music websites.

I'm sure over the next few days I'll think of many more, these are just a snapshot! I think these contradictions are what make us human though? It's a similar concept to the "guilty pleasure" idea - I shouldn't like "that" but I do. I'm not a big believer guilty pleasures though. If it makes you happy, and doesn't hurt anyone, why should you feel guilty? It's usually used to refer to music or TV shows, as though all you should listen to or watch is intelligent, challenging, highbrow items, and that there should be no place for fun - whereas my view is that music should always be enjoyable! It's the same with food as well - whilst I love fine dining, sometimes all that will suffice is a sausage sandwich from the local greasy spoon. As a diet of only sausage sandwiches would soon wear thin, to my mind so would one that only featured perfectly presented cuisine in high end restaurants - life needs variation, changes of colour, changes of tone, changes of viewpoint to make it worth living and exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment