Tuesday 30 December 2014

End of Year - Part 2

So, for the second "end of year" type post I'll concentrate on the new music (and some old) that I've enjoyed this year.

Having had a count up, I purchased 16 new albums (of which 14 were on vinyl) and a number (okay, I can't remember) of old albums. The heavy bias towards vinyl is simply because I think it sounds better. On top of that, full size artwork is much more impressive, and often there's a download code included so I can listen in the car etc. In quite a few cases I actually purchased the album in more than one format, wanting the vinyl, the boxset etc.
I love the act of listening to vinyl - the ritualistic procedure of laying the vinyl on the platter, using the anti-static brush, lowering the needle into the groove all add to the enjoyment, and focus the mind on listening. Too often these days music is used as background noise - to remove quiet, to dull other senses etc. For an art form as beautiful as music can be that's an insult to the composers and musicians.

16 New Albums (sorted alphabetically, with a comment or two) :

Anathema - Distant Satellites : personally I didn't find this quite as strong as the previous two albums. I liked the slight change of direction with the addition of electronics, but found the some of the album slightly formulaic - still loved it though.

Beck - Morning Phase : wanting to try something different, and acting on online recommendations, and the advice of my local record store (Tallbird Records) I purchased this. A "Sunday morning" type relaxed listen.

Tim Bowness - Abandoned Dancehall Dreams : as one of the owners of Burning Shed (the superb online store responsible for a lot of my spending) I felt I had to try this album. Melancholy, relaxed, wonderful.

S.Carey - Range of Light : very interesting this one, could be gentle music for a dinner party, but on close listening there's a lot going on. Another random "try" and really enjoyed it.

Engineers - Always Returning : the second album I've purchased from the band. Stylistically very similar to their previous, but still very enjoyable.

Gazpacho - Demon : a huge leap in ambition from previous albums (which in themselves are brilliant). A melting pot of various styles, all based around a haunting concept. Absolutely superb.

Iamthemorning - Belighted : I'm a huge fan of the KScope label, who were very pleased to sign this band for their second album. Wasn't sure what to expect, and really enjoy it.

Lunatic Soul - Walking On A Flashlight Beam : Mariusz Duda has never really put a foot wrong in any of his work, and this album just continues that run. Brilliant.

Opeth - Pale Communion : second album in a row with no death growls. I don't mind either way, I can hear where Opeth are going, but this is a difficult listen, very challenging.

Pink Floyd - The Endless River : a new Floyd album was never to be expected. Whilst this isn't what people hoped for, it is a beautiful way to send the band into eternal slumber, and a fitting tribute to Rick Wright.

Robert Plant - Lullaby and...The Ceaseless Roar : purely bought on the recommendation of Matthew Cohen from the band The Reasoning. Not at all what I would normally listen to, but an amazing album, loved it from the first listen.

Bjorn Riis - Lullabies In A Car Crash : solo album from the guitarist of Airbag. Very similar sound/style, but definitely no complaints from me, one of my favourite bands, so this is a brilliant listen while I wait for their new album.

Steve Rothery - The Ghosts of Pripyat : another recommendation, as most people said this was better than the Floyd album released around the same time, and was comparable as it's completely vocal free. I have to say, while I enjoy it, Floyd is definitely my preference.

The Pineapple Thief - Magnolia : another step up, as every one of their last few albums have been. I definitely feel this is their strongest, in terms of songs, performance and production.

Threshold - For The Journey : another strong album from the band, but one that I haven't listened to much, possibly as my tastes seem to be changing slightly.

Ben Watt - Hendra : purchased purely on a whim (and because David Gilmour plays on one track). Another enjoyable "Sunday morning" type album.


Looking back at the list, the obvious stand-out Album of the Year for me is definitely Gazpacho - Demon. I can't fault it in anyway, I can't stop listening to it. It's also made me go back and purchase the back catalogue albums I didn't already own, and listen to those I did - that's a fairly strong recommendation!




No comments:

Post a Comment